Friday 27 April 2012

Tony Abbott: Carthage must be destroyed

Today I listened to the Leader of the Opposition Tony Abbott deliver what was allegedly a speech that soon morphed into a policy statement. It was supposedly a speech on Australia's security policy, that could be more or less summed up as 'Carthago delenda est' or 'Carthage must be destroyed' as Cato the Elder ended every speech, or as Tony Abbott says at the end of every speech ' a Coalition will turn the boats around'. After near on half a century of involvement in the political process, I though  was inured to cynicism and sheer bastardry but but I hadn't counted on Tony Abbott.

According to Abbott, if the boats are home ported  in Indonesia, manned by Indonesian crews and registered in Indonesia, they will be resupplied and turned around. He will also pick up the phone and ring Nauru to re-establish the Pacific Solution. Quite frankly, I don't really care what they do with these boats. Sure, the people smugglers exploit the desire of vulnerable people for life in a richer and more peaceful land. My contact tell me it's not uncommon for the 'asylum seekers' to try three of more times to come to Australia. Once, when on the way home from the airport, I complained to the taxi driver how dull Australia is. 'If you think Australia is dull, you should go to my country, Afghanistan. We have wars, bombings, the Taliban, women are raped if they are not covered up. Personally, I prefer boredom any day,' he said.

Anyone who destroys their identity documents can rot in prison, as far as I'm concerned. We don't know who they are or what they've done. Of course, the current Labor policy is a dog's breakfast of compromises brought on by their own credulity and pandering to special interest groups.

My mother talks a great deal of nonsense and a great deal of common sense. When I said I  just don't like just don't Tony Abbott because I've had too many Old Aquinians and Trinity College (both Christian Brothers schools) hockey sticks wrapped around my shins, she asked me what I meant. 'I mean he's an old fashioned  Mick, Mum. She replied 'Oh, I know he's a Catholic and I don't like him either, most people don't. But I'm still going to vote for him.'
       .

No comments:

Post a Comment